Today’s blog is a request from my youngest daughter. Her birthday and mother’s day are within days of each other. This year she requested pumpkin muffins and my cinnamon rolls. Being her mom of course I could not deny this request. She called yesterday and requested the recipe. I decided to share it with you too.
This recipe is one of my all stars. I had a job for a very short time and we needed to celebrate “graduation”. This is what I took. The description went that it was so good it was like crack from everyone who ate it. They just couldn’t stop eating them. My group consisted of maybe 7 people. I took 24 cinnamon rolls. The only piece left was a 1/4 of a cinnamon roll which I saved for my husband.
I really have no idea where I found this recipe. I started making it at least 13 years ago. It looks very involved, but it is not really. The ingredients are listed in order of use and are listed more than once.
|Forgot to take the picture before serving|
Sue’s Amazingly Wonderful Cinnamon Rolls
1 1/2 CUPS SUGAR
3 TBSP CINNAMON
2 PKT’S YEAST OR 2 TBSP OF BULK YEAST
1 TSP SUGAR
1 CUP OF HOT WATER
1 CUP WARM WATER
2/3 CUP SUGAR
2/3 CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE, MELTED
2 TSP SALT
UP TO 8 CUPS OF FLOUR
1/2 CUP NUTTER
1. MIX TOGETHER 1 1/2 CUPS OF SUGAR AND CINNAMON. SET ASIDE
2. IN A SMALL BOWL DISSOLVE YEAST AND 1 TSP SUGAR IN 1 CUP OF WARM WATER
3. IN A LARGE BOWL, MIX TOGETHER MILK, 2/3 CUP SUGAR, 2/3 CUP MELTED BUTTER, SALT, AND EGGS. ADD YEAST MIXTURE AND 4 CUPS OF SUGAR.
4. BEAT UNTIL SMOOTH, STIR IN ENOUGH FLOUR TO FORM A SLIGHTLY STIFF DOUGH. TURN DOUGH OUT ONTO A WELL FLOURED SURFACE AND KNEAD FOR 8 MINUTES. PLACE IN A LARGE GREASED BOWL, COVER, AND ALLOW TO RISE UNTIL DOUBLE. ABOUT AN HOUR TO AN HOUR AND A HALF.
5. PUNCH DOWN DOUGH AND LET REST FOR 5 MINUTES. ROLL DOUGH OUT ONTO FLOURED SURFACE INTO A 15 x 20 RECTANGLE.
6. BRUSH 1/2 CUP MELTED BUTTER OVER DOUGH. SPRINKLE SUGAR CINNAMON EVENLY OVER DOUGH. YOU CAN SPRINKLE CHOPPED PECANS OR WALNUTS ON DOUGH IF YOU CHOOSE. I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE AMAZING WITHOUT THEM.
7. TIGHTLY ROLL UP DOUGH AND PINCH EDGES TO SEAL. CUT ROLL INTO 12 – 15 SLICES,
8. COAT BOTTOM OF A 13x9x2 BAKING PAN WITH 1/2 CUP BUTTER AND CINNAMON SUGAR MIXTURE.
9. PLACE CINNAMON ROLL SLICES CLOSE TOGETHER IN THE PREPARED PAN. COVER PAN AND ALLOW TO RISE IN A WARM PLACE FOR 45 MINUTES.
10. BAKE ROLLS IN A 350F OVEN FOR 25 TO 30 MINUTES OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN.
11. SPREAD ICING* EVENLY OVER SLIGHTLY COOLED ROLLS.
I usually change step number 5, by dividing the dough into 2 halves. I roll this out into 2 smaller rectangles and place it into 2 round cake or pie pans.
I also usually make icing once the rolls come out of the oven.
2/3 CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE,MELTED (you can use 1/3 cup cream cheese and 1/3 cup butter)
4 CUPS POWDER SUGAR
3 TSPS VANILLA
UP TO 6 TBSP HOT WATER
1. STIR TOGETHER BUTTER, POWDERED SUGAR, (AND CREAM CHEESE, IF USING), ADD VANILLA, AND HOT WATER UNTIL ICING REACHES YOUR DESIRED SPREADING CONSISTENCY.
I have made this the night before and refrigerated after step 4 and step 9. It works just as well and you aren’t as hurried in the morning. I do this when family are spending the night.
Let me know how this worked for you and if I forgot a step or something!